Carbon monoxide the silent killer
As winter approaches and more people start relying on heaters to warm up their homes, plumbers need to start speaking to their clients about servicing their gas heaters to protect against the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and non-irritant gas that is a common cause of fatal poisoning in homes around Australia.
It can come from many sources in the home including blocked flues and chimneys and inadequate ventilation but the most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning is leakage from gas appliances that are not serviced regularly or properly maintained.
Signs for plumbers to look out for to determine if carbon monoxide could be present are black soot marks near appliances, increased condensation in the room, pilot light continually going out and yellow gas flames instead of blue.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Confusion/Memory loss
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abnormal reflexes
- Difficulty in coordinating
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest Pain
- Cerebral Edema
Making sure gas appliances are serviced regularly (at least once every two years) and are working efficiently can reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
For more information about the dangers of carbon monoxide, download EvacuLife’s fact sheet here.